Whether by rail or road, sky or sea, Augusta County offers a convenient and accessible transportation infrastructure to quickly reach markets and customers.
The Shenandoah Valley Regional Airport (SHD), located in Augusta County, allows easy access to the region by air with commercial airline service to/from Charlotte-Douglas International Airport and Orlando/Sanford International Airport. With free parking and quick security checks, SHD is a great asset to a business community that works locally and thinks globally.
For Valley business travelers, the General Aviation terminal at SHD makes corporate travel easy with a high-end facility capable of providing client service from private to corporate aircraft. Fuel service, in-house concierge offerings and car rental coordination complete the support services business travelers need.
In addition to SHD, Augusta County is within a two-hour drive to four other airports, including:
- Washington Dulles International – 130 miles (IAD)
- Charlottesville Regional – 51 miles (CHO)
- Richmond International – 130 miles (RIC)
- Roanoke-Blacksburg Regional – 100 miles (ROA)
Roads and Highways
The intersection of I-81 and I-64 within Augusta County is one of our greatest assets and offers our companies easy access to distribution routes. With 42+ miles of interstate, many sites offer direct access onto the highway system.
Distances to major markets:
- Washington, D.C.-157 miles
- Hampton Roads, VA – 197 miles
- New York City, NY -375 miles
- Philadelphia, PA – 293 miles
- Detroit, MI – 563 miles
- Atlanta, GA – 510 miles
- Charlotte, NC – 270 miles
- Charleston, SC – 477 miles
Located just over 200 miles from Augusta County, the Port of Virginia is the deepest port on the East Coast and is the only U.S. East Coast port with congressional authorization for 55-foot deep channels.
Port of Virginia Quick Facts:
- 50-foot channels and berths
- Zero air-draft restrictions
- Fully authorized and permitted for future marine terminal expansion
- 2.22 million TEUs annual throughput in 2013
- 22 Suez-class ship-to-shore cranes port-wide
- 34% of cargo arrives and departs the port by rail
- 2.5 hours to open sea
- 36,800 linear feet (almost 7 miles) of on-dock rail
- 16 Midwest and Southeast inland ports served by rail
- 2 Class I railroads operating on dock
Located 77 miles from Augusta County, the Virginia Inland Port (VIP) is an intermodal container transfer facility in Front Royal, Virginia. The terminal brings The Port of Virginia 220 miles closer to inland markets and enhances service to the Washington D.C. / Baltimore Metro Region by providing rail service to the terminals in Hampton Roads. VIP also consolidates and containerizes local cargo for export. Intermodal rail cars arrive at VIP and gain access via Norfolk Southern rail to Harrisburg, PA and New York/New Jersey region. The facility is a U.S. Customs-designated port of entry, and the full range of customs functions is available to customers.
Two of the nation’s largest railroads, Norfolk Southern and CSX, intersect in Augusta County. We also have two hard-working short-line rail companies, Buckingham Branch Railroad and Shenandoah Valley Railroad.